Permanent Men's Shelter
Receive text or email notification about the shelter siting process
The City of Bellevue and King County are working in partnership with Congregations for the Homeless and Imagine Housing to site a permanent men's shelter and supportive housing in Bellevue. The site being studied is at 14350 SE Eastgate Way.
Input from the the public is important for the city as it establishes a permanent location for the Eastside Men's Shelter and supportive services.
Questions and Answers
The city has made use of a wide variety of other public notification tools, including news releases, fliers and A-boards posted in businesses, community centers and libraries, Neighborhood News, social media posts and articles in the It’s Your City newsletter.
It’s Your City
An article about the Eastside Men’s Shelter was included in the October issue of the citywide It’s Your City newsletter that was mailed to every home in Bellevue. For background information, the city’s work to address homelessness was also highlighted in the October 2015 issue of It’s Your City.
Articles for the Eastside Men’s Shelter can be found in the September and October issues of Neighborhood News.
Immediate surrounding businesses and residential
In August 2016, Outreach staff distributed information packets and fliers to 114 surrounding businesses north and south of Interstate 90, and libraries and faith communities in Eastgate. Additionally, outreach was done to the nearby residential communities of Sunset Ridge, Harmony, Seasons at Madrona, Sunset Community Association, as well as, Bellevue College, the Eastgate park-and-ride and Public Health - Seattle and King County.
The city provided stakeholder briefings for interested parties who wanted more information about this project. City staff and staff from Congregations for the Homeless met with residents and business owners to provide information about the project, identify specific concerns and provide answers to questions of local concern. These stakeholder briefings are ongoing and available upon request.
Stakeholder briefings have been provided to:
- Sunset Community Association Board
- Harmony at Madrona
- Eastgate Residents
- Seasons At Madrona Park HOA
- Sunset Ridge
- Intellectual Ventures
- Urban Renaissance
- Eastgate Public Health Seattle
- King County Metro
- Bellevue College
- Eastside Christian School
- Planning Commission
- Human Services Commission
- Youth Link Board Retreat
Questions or comments? Please contact Mike McCormick Huentelman (email@example.com or 425-452-4089).
- Eastside communities stepping up efforts to help the homeless Seattle Times, Dec. 11
- Police release data regarding Eastgate homeless shelter Bellevue Reporter, Nov. 30
- Neighbors fight proposed homeless shelter in Bellevue KIRO TV, Nov. 21
- Battle brews in Bellevue over sheltering the homeless, Seattle Times, Nov. 14
- Eastgate residents draw issues with proposed men’s shelter in Bellevue, Bellevue Reporter, Nov. 2
- Thank you, Bellevue, for stepping up for homeless, Seattle Times, Nov. 1
- Bellevue's first permanent shelter could open by 2019, King 5 news, Oct. 30
- Bellevue plans for first permanent shelter, King 5 news, Oct. 26
- Bellevue will hold community meeting for men’s shelter, Bellevue Reporter, Sept. 22