The annual "Bike Month in Bellevue" is revving up, with May events expected to draw hundreds of participants and encourage non-gearheads to experience the joys of bicycling.
Sponsored by the City of Bellevue, King County Metro, Sound Transit, the Cascade Bicycle Club and TransManage, highlights of Bike Month include:
- Bike Everywhere Challenge, May 1-31: Sponsored by Washington Bikes, the Challenge is a fun, free competition. The Challenge is not just about who can ride the most miles, but who can encourage the most people to give bicycling a try. Sign up as a team captain on the Challenge web page and lead up to eight people, or 10 people, if two are new riders.
- Intro to Bicycle Commuting, Tuesday, May 2, noon-1 p.m.: Cascade Bicycle Club presents the basics of bicycle commuting: clothing, gear, rules of the road, bike parking and more. The class will be at City Hall. A pizza lunch will be provided. Space is limited; email email@example.com to register.
- Bike to Your Vanpool Day, Tuesday, May 9: If you're a vanpooler at heart, Choose Your Way Bellevue encourages you to make your commute even greener by biking to your vanpool. King County Metro and Community Transit have bike racks available at no extra cost to your van. Contact King County Metro Vanpool at 206-625-4500 or firstname.lastname@example.org; or contact your Community Transit vanpool at 425-353-7433 or email@example.com. Racks are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Share your photos by using the hashtag #Bike2Vanpool and #BellevueBikes.
- Bike to School Day, Wednesday, May 10: Join thousands of riders nationwide on Bike to School Day. Bellevue students are encouraged to begin their day with a safe commute to school. More information is on Cascade Bicycle Club's Bike to School page.
- Eastside Captains Bash, May 11, 3:30-7 p.m.: "Bike Everywhere Challenge" team captains and interested cyclists are invited to attend the Eastside Captains Bash at Whole Foods Market in Bellevue, 888 116th Ave. NE. Hosted by Choose Your Way Bellevue, captains can pick up their Bike Month T-Shirt and other team bike swag. Representatives from the cities of Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond and Issaquah will share progress on bike planning and projects, drawings, giveaways and more. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP. All are welcome.
- F5 Bike Everywhere Day, May 19, 6-9 a.m.: Visit Choose Your Way Bellevue at the Bellevue Transit Center celebration station to fuel up on Starbucks coffee, a light breakfast from Whole Foods and other bike swag. Gregg's Cycles will offer minor tune-ups. A second station will be located at Enatai near Interstate 90. Cascade Bicycle Club's website has station information to help you hit all the stations on your way to work.
The City of Bellevue informs Bellevue residents, workers and businesses about alternatives to drive-alone commuting at www.ChooseYourWayBellevue.org. Bellevue's transportation system offers a range of travel options that provide people with choices for getting around.
For assistance in planning a bicycle commute, email email@example.com or fill out a Choose Your Way Bellevue commute inquiry form.
Return to News Release Index